Because the Ombudsman should not only handle cases, but also solve cases.
This requires real work with real impact. I will put people first in all my actions.
Together with the European Parliament, we can help regain and strengthen citizens’ trust in the European Union.
Because we need an Ombudsman who will
- focus efforts on solving citizens’ everyday complaints
- build an impartial and constructive link between people and the EU institutions
- act objectively and work with complete independence and impartiality
- invest time and skills in building a team that will work with and for the people
- support the independence of national and regional ombudsmen
- strengthen the dialogue with the EU institutions
- report thoroughly on the activities of the Ombudsman’s office and have direct and constant contact with the Members of the European Parliament.
Because I am
- a professional with 15 years’ experience as a judge, first at the Supreme Court of Estonia and then at the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg
- a visiting professor of European law with an academic background from the Universities of Tartu, Hamburg, Münster, Kiel and Florence
- a true European, an Estonian married to a French national and the mother of three children, fluent in Estonian, English, French, German and Finnish.
Julia Laffranque for European Ombudsman
Devoted and dedicated